My baby and I

My baby and I

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Something positive amongst the negative

So.. My work is not a super positive environment. I do animal control, I work for the police department. So much of what I do and deal with is negative and when i first started it was very hard to deal with! because i'm such a happy person and didn't do well with conflict/confrontation and that is so much of what the job is!

I pick up sick, injured, abandoned or just dogs that escaped from their owner. I take them into the shelter where some owners never come and dogs are euthanized (I have mass respect for everyone who works at the shelter who has to deal with that EVERYDAY and much more and worse) I take in all sorts of animals..so many cats. I pick up dead animals on the road or that have died at home. I get to go deal with owners who get angry, defensive, who yell at me and belittle me. I have to write tickets to good and bad dog owners. I have to euthanize animals. I start out fine, as time goes on, i start getting down about work.

But then, something will happen that stands out and reminds me that there are some positive things and things to enjoy about what I do and brings me back up to happy level where i can start over again and look with refreshed eyes at the job around me.

Someone found a baby bunny in their garage.. not a domestic little fluffy easter bunny.. but it looked like a wild hare (the house was on the mountain). This thing was like 2 inches long and its eyes were not open yet. I don't know how much i can say about what i do at work but i pretty much knew the fate of this little one.. it was too young to survive without its mom, no one would want to nurse it back to health. I was smitten by this little creature i wanted to help it! it hopped and everything. Well, as it turns out i was not the only one smitten by it. I took it to the shelter and we agreed to try to see if a mother cat that just had kittens would allow the bunny to nurse. The first one we tried just batted it around like a mouse.. the second one had a few kittens with her and ACCEPTED THE BUNNY! she let the bunny come up and nurse on it and when i came back a few hours later the bunny was all curled up inbetween the kittens asleep!

I don't know why it made such an impression on me, but I am so happy! It was so amazing to see this mother cat accept an animal that wasn't her own nor even her same species!!! i wish i could have seen more but a rescue took the mother cat and her kittens.. AND the bunny today! amazing! i wanted a pic of that little bunny in with all the kittens.. thats ok. Its little things like this that lift my spirits and keep me going! thank you momma kitty for making my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment